The Mercers’ Company, a City of London Livery Company established by Royal Charter in 1394, commissioned KJ Tait Engineers to undertake the services design for a complex £22M mixed use development in Covent Garden.
The design enhances and complements the surrounding urban realm with a new, contemporary central piazza forming the focal point of the development, accessed from both Langley Street and Mercer Street.
The refurbishment of 13-14 Langley Street, an original 19th Century Covent Garden warehouse, to create a new flagship retail store provides an architectural feature designed to draw pedestrians in.
The three new mixed use buildings provide retail and restaurant space at ground and basement levels with 24 residential apartments on the upper floors. The North Building is formed around one central core. The South East and South West Buildings share a residential courtyard.
A common basement containing central CHP plant for all the restaurants, retail units and residential apartments, provides low carbon heat and power. The heat network was designed for future expansion to allow for extension to the adjacent blocks, also owned by the Mercers’ Company.
The building was awarded a BREEAM ‘Very Good’ rating for its sustainable approach and achieved Code for Sustainable Homes level 04.
Following this successful project, KJ Tait have been commissioned across the Mercers’ Company Estate for a wide range of project types and sizes to continue the development and investment in the Mercers’ real estate holdings.