This project was a result of a masterplan review of Epsom College, a college in Surrey which caters for 700 day and boarding pupils.
The new Sixth Form College has been designed to combine social and academic spaces and includes a new tiered auditorium.
Although designed a few years before construction, a number of energy saving and sustainability initiatives form part of the building design including:
- A fabric first approach to maximise the thermal performance of the building envelope.
- High performance windows which provide good solar control.
- Localised shading of windows.
- An air source heat pump heating and cooling system (the Client wished cooling to be provided in this building to avoid the overheating problems they have experienced in other buildings on site).
- LED lighting throughout with daylight dimmable control.
- Roof mounted PV cells.
- EV charging.
- Net zero carbon ready strategy.
- BREEAM Excellent accreditation.